Monday, February 26, 2007

I bought yarn...

otherwise known as the tale of the watermelon hat...

So after my first attempt at knitting a watermelon hat for a baby which fit me, I cast on 90 stitches and knit this.

Watermelon Hat

However, while there are seedless watermelons (which still have seeds), I was wanting to knit one with seeds. I looked around for some other cheap thin yarn to duplicate stitch the seeds with (as I owned none) but instead caved in and went to Tapestry Craft, where I bought...

Stuff from Tapestry Craft

I bought some needles for future projects, point protectors and split ring markers - I've actually decided I prefer paper clips as stitch markers over these. You can't get decent stitch markers easily in Australia! Perhaps I'll have to make some. I also bought...

Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino black

Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in black (to match the rest of the hat). (It's okay! I haven't fallen off the bandwagon (yet).This accords with exception 2c for Knit from your stash 2007.)

I started doing duplicate stitches. This took me a while. I actually think it took longer, because its more frustrating (I'm a knitter not a sewer!) and I knit another watermelon hat in the mean time. I didn't get a photo of the second one, which went to baby Preston. However, here is one of them

Watermelon hat

and modelled by Humphrey B Bear (who apparently may be getting the sack...)

Humphrey B Bear wearing Watermelon hat

Finally success!

So yesterday, as I had left over yarn, and my second cousin's wife had a baby, Cohen, a few weeks ago, I cast on for a third watermelon hat. I cast on 120 stitches! Do I ever learn? Off to the frog pond....and the dementia clinc...

No comments: