Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Greetings from yesterday..

Yvonne and I made it safely to Hawaii. I doubt anyone reads my blog but I thought I might post anyway. We're waiting for the bride and groom to be to go out for dinner so I thought I'd post.

Random thoughts

- Most of the zebra crossings are actually traffic lights. We didn't realise that the first time.
- The ones that aren't traffic lights - they don't give way to pedestrians. We worked this out pretty quickly.
- I still keep looking left and not right.
- Evil escalators are the other way round.
- I once again can't cope with foreign currency. I have to examine everything.
- Waikiki - there is an ABC store (cross between convience and souvenir shop) literally every 20 metres. We are not making this up.
- Waikiki - there are no sand dunes. The hotels are built on them. There is literally a 5 metre strip of sand and then water. We don't know what happens at high tide.
- Half the signs around here (street signs, signs on the bus) use the word yield - so random.
- I had my first ever female taxi driver on the trip here from the airport. She was Korean.
- There are so many tourists, every second brochure/sign in Waikiki is in Japanese. There are even two Japanese channels on the TV at our hotel.

I'm sure there are more things. Just can't think of them at the moment. Time to go to dinner (plus someone wants to use the computer.)

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Hey, someone reads your blog. I subscribe to it on Bloglines.

Have a really great time and keep blogging!

LynS said...

Enjoy Hawaii, Anna Ruth. It's a wonderfully multicultural society - as well as the indigenous Hawaiians, there are layers of settlement from other Pacific countries - I seem to remember that about 20% of the people are of Japanese descent. Great fun, great diversity.
I hope your cold is finally better.

Anonymous said...

hey I read your blog Swap pal!

Hope you have a fun time in Wakikikikiki!!!

jp said...

Sounds like you are having a great time.

And yes we do read your blog.
Beware on the crossings.