Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Comfort packages

Last Tuesday, I finally made my way to the post office to post two packages.

The first was to my friend, Therese. She's living in Japan with her fiance, an Afro-American kick-boxer from Alabama (don't ask). I knit her an Irish Hiking Scarf out of Naturally Merino and Fur (70% Merino 30% Possum - don't look at me like that! The yarn is from New Zealand - in NZ, possums are feral, possums are pests!) in Maroon.

I actually started knitting this in a vain attempt to finish it before Therese left to go back to Japan in September last year. Not surprising it didn't get finished in time, so it got put on hold for a while. I then thought I might get it finished by Christmas, but that didn't happen either, so I've finally sent it for her birthday (we'll leave out the fact that I didn't actually send it until her birthday but never mind...). I knit this because she said she was cold in Japan. It's actually kinda part of a set. I also knit her a Vintage Girl Cloche Hat in Naturally Merino and Fur, in a green/maroon/purple verigated colourway which she did get before she left.

Irish Hiking Scarf

The scarf attractively positioned on the post office bench.

Irish Hiking Scarf

A close up of the cables - I think the stitch definition is a bit clearer since I washed it. Before it was all blury. Probably not the best yarn to do cables in. Better to felt. Yes, I know. Bad photo. This problem will be rectified soon.

Irish Hiking Scarf

A very bad pic of me modeling the Irish Hiking Scarf - I do not normally have a double chin.

The second package was to my Aunt. I sent her to Ballband Dishcloths. She's been going through a time of mixed emotion in the last few months, sadness and joy - deaths and births and so I thought a small gift might be nice. (I'm getting to the end of all my cotton, when I run out - under stash guidelines 2a, I can buy more. Hence, the changing colours.)

Ballband dishcloths

Ballband dishcloth

I suppose they should both arrive fairly soon. =)

No comments: