Monday, February 12, 2007

A rather large baby

On the 24th, the women at my church are having a brunch/baby shower for two women in my church who are pregnant. One is our minister's wife, who is up to child number 5. My next few projects are going to be for no 5, and also nos 1-4.

First up, I am knitting both babies a watermelon hat (ala Yarn Harlot). Considering the extensive instructions (not that it isn't fairly easy), I'm having to guess alot of it. I did swatch (a first for me) and based on my 8 stitches to the inch, I for some reason cast on 128 stitches. (Why I wanted a 16 inch hat for a baby I don't know?) Anyway, I knitted this until I finished it. The result wasn't too bad. It turned out like this

Watermelon hat

perfect except...

Anna wearing Watermelon hat

that it's 18 inches and fits on my 22 inch head.

As I don't feel I can pull off wearing a watermelon hat, and need the yarn to make the other hat, this one is making a quick trip to the frog pond and I've cast on a new version with only 90 stitches...here's hoping.

X-posted to Ozknits.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, whoops!

Anonymous said...

Too funny - I have done that before!! I love the watermelon hats on babies - they are so cute (the babies and the hats)!