Thursday, February 08, 2007

SP10 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I just went through a cotton phase (it was summer)- I especially liked Jo Sharp Summer Soho and Twilleys of Stamford except that I'd get yarn burn. At the moment I'm knitting with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino and it is sooooo soft. I don't mind what I knit with, I'm not completely anti-acrylic. I don't like scratchy yarns. I think I prefer yarn which gives clear stitch definition although I don't really mind. My boyfriend bought me some Cascade 220 in Decemeber from WEBS (not easy to get here) and it feels pretty soft in the skein too. (I'm yet to knit with it.)

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

They sit in one of my knitting bags - most of them in the side pocket of one of them. I don't normally keep them in their packets (except DPNs) so I sometimes have to do comparisons to work out what size the circs are, but I manage. I own one crochet hook. It lives in its packet and I carry it around alot.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

My mum taught me to knit when I was a child. She only taught me how to cast on (knitting on), the knit stitch and how to cast off. I remember she taught me a few times and I knit the same little doll blanket in garter stitch in the same piece of yarn over and over. I started to knit a few things in uni and that is where I learnt how to purl (actually by Ro on a study camp). Through knitting for Wrap with Love, I learnt to increase (kfnb) and decrease (k2tog) but I became more serious about knitting about 18 months ago (I blame Erin) and have picked up alot of skills since then. I would consider myself intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

No.

5. What's your favorite scent?

I think it might be strawberry shortcake (you know, the doll - I love that smell) but I like lots of smells - food cooking etc. I'm not very good with alot of scented stuff though (e.g. lavender and floral smells) as I have a mild allergy to scented stuff (I know, how can I have an allergy to a smell - but they put the stuff in soaps and stuff) and sometimes scented stuff can make me feel sick and give me a sore throat.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I have a very sweet tooth. I love chocolate (milk and white chocolate - I don't like dark chocolate though). I'm not sure what my favourite lollies (candy) are. Maybe something with caramel or licorice (the black kind) (e.g. the chocolate coated licorice pieces from Darrell Lea).

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I'm really not a crafty person. All my other crafts turn out wonky and demented. I don't think I'm very artistic. I do do craft for kids activities at church though. I just knit. No, I don't spin. I've never tried.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love musicals. I like show tunes, jazz, that kind of thing. I really like the Idea of North. I don't mind most kinds of music. I don't like heavy metal though and I'm not sure I've fully worked out classical music either. Yes, my computer and discman can play MP3s.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like purple and blue. Most colours are good. Bright colours less so. I think I have an aversion to brown. My school uniform was chocolate brown and I've been having issues with it.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I live at home. One mother, one father, one cat.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I do wear scarves (Erin clames I have way too many and shouldn't take so many on holidays when I go away). I do wear hats (both sun hats and beanies). I don't think I've ever worn mittens. No, wait. I once wore them at the snow when I was a kid. It doesn't get that cold here. I do wear gloves in winter though. I owned a poncho when I was a child. I don't think I'd be brave enough to wear one outside the house anymore though.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I love smaller projects e.g. hats, dishcloths, scarves. I don't think its because I'm not patient but because I always think "oh, I should knit something for that person" and so I have a back log. If I knitted blankets and jumpers for everyone, well...I'd be here forever.

13. What are you knitting right now?

I'm currently knitting a watermelon hat (like the one on Yarn Harlot). I hope to knit 2 before a baby shower at church coming up for two mothers. I also have some other things to knit for one of the babies and also for the babies' older siblings so they wont be left out.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I prefer straights but use circs and dpns when required. I have plastic, aluminium, bamboo and casein needles. I prefer the aluminium ones the most as I'm afraid of breaking the bamboo ones, the plastic and casein ones are often less sharp and the casein one still smells a little.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

No.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 7 months.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

I think Christmas because it is really the only 'proper' holiday we have in Australia. Easter, isn't a big holiday. I mean the shops sell Easter eggs and hot cross buns but I don't do Easter eggs any more and so for me personally, its just religious, although in that sense, it is the best holiday. I really don't full understand what the deal with Australia day other than the beach. Anzac Day is rather somber and I suspect Labour Day and the Queen's birthday are only really excuses for the long weekend. I also like Christmas because its in summer and we get a week off between Christmas and New Year. Okay, actually I think I like Boxing Day the best.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

I have in the past collected stamps and spoons but I haven't touched either in a while. Not really, just yarn.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I'm not sure there are books I'm dying to get my hands on. I've only read one of Yarn Harlot's books, that I borrowed off Erin. I think I would be interested in books like one skein or last minute knitted gifts. Books about how to make little knitted gifts for people.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I think I'm working on lace at the moment. However, there is nothing I'm desperate to learn. I've learnt alot in the last year. I've done my first cables, first yarn overs, different decreases and cast ons.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I've never knitted socks. I'm not sure what my foot measurements are, or what you need to know to make socks. I'll measure my feet and check back.

23. When is your birthday?

12 March 1984.

No comments: