Thursday, April 19, 2007

Please don't take away my lifeline...

The Australian Government is looking into banning the sale of pseudoephedrine (the common constituent in Cold and Flu tablets (e.g. Codral)). Pseudoephedrine is the base ingredient in drugs such as ecstacy, ice and meth. In the past, pseudoephedrine was available in supermarkets, although from 1 Jan 2006, it has only been available as a 'pharmacy only' drug in chemists. (Basically, you have to get the Chemist to recognise that you are sick and they take your name and address and enter it into a database, tracking who is buying it and how much - so you can't be making lots of drugs with it.) However, now they are looking at banning it altogether, because they argue that phenylephrine is just as effective but can't be used to make illicit drugs. But the studies are now suggesting otherwise (as Erin always advocated). I think I'm going to write to some government minister telling them my views. (It must be stated, to be fair, that the drug companies argue otherwise and the study was based on the FDA (US) recommended dose.)

Now, I'm not a drug addict. I only take Cold and Flu tablets when I'm sick (like now). I am actually quite caucious about what drugs I take. However, if I don't have effective Cold and Flu medicine, I would be off work more often than I currently am, affecting my employer. It is in the interest of productivity that they should keep the drug available. I have no problems with having to go to a Chemist to get it. I understand why they do that. Just don't take away my lifeline altogether.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What?!?!?!

They can't take away pseudoephedrine! It's the only thing that keeps me sane when I have a killer cold! Phenylephrine does absolutely bugger all except waste my money. I NEED my pseudoephedrine when I'm sick!htt

*clings tightly to the beloved pseudoephedrine*

Fuzzi_Sparkler said...

but codral it's so good. it totally works for me! when i get a cold.

it's not in telfast is it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, did I leave my baby sock bug at your house the other day? It's disappeared, along with my sheep measuring tape and my yarn needles. I need the yarn needles, because I've finished Cathy's hat except for the sewing up bits.

Anna said...

I don't think so. I haven't seen it and I'm pretty sure I would have. Sorry! Is it in your car?

Anonymous said...

Not that I could find, but I didn't have a super-thorough search.

Oh well, it'll turn up. And in the meantime I found another yarn needle so the hat's done.