Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The humour/irony/mishaps/almost giveaway happenings of my No longer secret pal

Yesterday arvo, I came home from a staff conference to find a parcel pick up notice in the letter box. So (as we had gotten off the conference early), I wandered down to the post office. After having to loiter around the area as I was 30 minutes early (I also had to go to the bank and it closes at 4pm and the package wasn't going to be available till 4:30 - even though I asked), the lady couldn't find the package in the book or even out the back. She kept looking everywhere because the postman had come back with the undelievered parcels. Eventually one of the other post people, had to go out with her. It had been right in front of her, but she'd been looking at the from address instead of the to address. However, eventually I did get the package.

SP10 package

Inside the package was:

Envelope

An envelope telling me to not open the card first. I'm generally a card first gift later polite person, but if I've been told, well I've been told. Who am I to argue?

Raspberry Tart yarn

- Some extra gorgeous 100% merino 460 yards handwash yarn in the colour "Raspberry tart" (or so says the tag). Its absolutely lovely. It may be some of the nicest yarn I've ever had.

Raspberry Tart yarn

I think this picture shows the colour a bit more accurately but the picture is more dark.

Stitch marker

Attached to the label was also a little charm which could double as a stitch marker.

Lantern moon needles

- One pair of 4.5mm (US 7) Lantern Moon Rosewood 35mm straight needles. They are extra pretty. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to make myself use them. They look so nice.

Measuring tape

- A green measuring tape with lady beetles on it. It is so cute and has this little rubber pom-pom on the end. Everyone in Australia who sees this style of measuring tape loves them (I don't think they are available here) and wants to know where I got them from, so I always have to disappoint them. At least I'm not disappointed.

Lindt chocolate

- Mmmm....Lindt Chocolate. I love chocolate. It's milk chocolate Toffee Crunch. I don't even think I mentioned to my pal, that I'd recently been to the Lindt cafe. I don't even know if they exist overseas, but there are two in Sydney. The St Moritz cake is delicious.

Socks

- Socks! This is my first pair of knitted socks I've ever owned and I love them so much. They are certainly my favourite gift (not that I don't like the other ones!). I even wore them to work today, even though they don't really go with my outfit because I like them so much (no, my shoes aren't completely closed in - you can see the socks). They are so soft. Not too warm, not too not warm enough. They are just wonderful and they are in green and purple, a colour combo I love (even if I can't get the colours the right way around).

The card

- A lovely dog card, which revealed my secret pal to be Em.

But do you know the really funny thing? I almost worked out who my secret pal was a few weeks ago. I got so close too! But one little thing put me off.

See this pic here, its from my first sp10 package.

Notepad

The note pad was nice and a bit distinctive.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was reading Lana Knits (Lana now blogs here) and she had been participating in the Knitters of Avalon KAL and she'd won a prize, and she'd posted a picture of it.

Lana's gift

Did you see what caught my eye?

Lana's gift

Yes. Lana had received the same thing. So I went over to the KAL and clicked on both the hostess links. So I'd actually been to her site. But both sites didn't say "TN" which is where my first package return address said. Em lives in NC. So I figured I must have been mistaken. But no, I was right! Haha! I think its really funny, that even though we've never had anything to do with each other, and she never could have guessed, but she almost gave herself away.

Thank you Em, for being my secret pal. I've really enjoyed all the gifts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...that's funny. I am fine with you using my photo for the post, as well. No worries. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hey. Sorry I didn't reply on MSN. I was watching Run, Lola, Run and didn't realise you'd said hi.

SnBing tomorrow?

Emily said...

I'm so glad you liked everything! And that the post office didn't give it away to some non-knit-loving, non-handknit-socks-wearing person ;-).
I can't believe I almost got busted with my Mary Engelbreit gifts! She's one of my favorite artists; I think everything she does is so cheerful and hopeful, so I try to send some piece of it to all my pals (what are the odds some future pal of mine reads that and puts two and two together?).
I'm thrilled the socks fit. That's always the most nerve-racking part.
You've been a lovely pal to send to. Thanks so much for your patience with this last gift!
Hope to stay in touch!
Em

Anonymous said...

That yarn is beautiful, those needles are divine, the dog card is way cool and the socks are great - what a wonderful gift!

Fuzzi_Sparkler said...

oh i love that last wool! I should show u a scarf mum once knitted for me. well two. but before it was knitted it looked absolutely lovely! the wool that is!!! :)