Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What I knit in my winter holidays

At some point in primary school, you have to write something entitled "What I did in my summer holidays (or vacation, depending on your dialect)". Well this is my "What I knit in my winter holidays".

Clem's scarf

I finished knitting Clem's scarf. Note, I did not say I finished Clem's scarf. There are still about a dozen ends to weave in and I think I'll put a fringe on the bottom, although I'm seeking opinions on this. I basically finished that the Friday night, I finished work.

Craft show

On the first Saturday, I went to the craft show. Due to KFYS07, I didn't buy any yarn but it was good to be able to feel the yarns that I've seen online but never been able to hold. I did buy some accessories though. I bought a pair of stork scissors and a little zinger thing which is supposed to hold scissors but I think that is a little dangerous to have yarn flinging back at you. It says "I heart knitting". Attached is a stitch marker I made during SP10 (more to come on that soon!) (I also bought some point protectors but you don't really need to see those.) The needle is one of a pair of straight Susan Bates. After my secret pal, gave me a set of 7s, I couldn't resist and bought myself another pair. I am in love.

Rivendell

During the week, while attending a Lord of the Kings (think LOTR but with the main characters called Freddo and Sham) kids club, I knit Rivendell, which was very on theme in my opinion. It even went with the colour of my group (purple). It does have all the ends woven in but I need to fix up some of the lose stitches around the cables and decreases. I used the purple cotton fleece from my secret pal. It was really nice to work with and I still have some stuff left.

Square one UFO

Square one

Square 2

Since my holidays, I've been knitting sqaures as the Knit in is coming up. I've started with my usual diamond square (increase and then decrease) and now I'm working on a mitred square version. The yarn is the random yarn I've picked up at previous knit ins. It is all supposed to be 8 ply yarn but most of it is 4 ply so I'm knitting most of it 2 strands at a time. Its often a lot of little ends of balls too.

Square stash

This is going to lead to alot of strange looking squares.

Fall of the band wagon yarn

And I have a confession to make. Yesterday, at SnB, I fell off the band wagon (see KFYS2007 - Anna's guidelines). Actually I didn't fall off, I jumped off. It was a considered jump and I hereby invoke the "Get out of jail (gaol) free" card. I need this yarn for a project, that I can't tell you about, which I have to finish before September. (It's not Operation Trinemanct. It's another secret project.) Anyway, Erin was more impressed that I picked up the green yarn and said "This green yarn is more the right type of green than this other (green) yarn (not pictured)". [For those of you who don't know, I have "green-purple colourblindness" (not officially, I just seem to have a mental malfuction and say green when I mean purple and vice versa) and Erin can't seem to remember when I've ever got the colours the right way around.]

And finally, in laptop related news, I purchased a new laptop last night, I should be back up and running soon, as soon as I find a geek to help me set it all up (wireless etc). I wonder what favour I could offer in return? What geek do I know that needs a human swift? I know Erin needs my human swift services, so I wonder what fvour she could offer? Hmmm....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you had some great knitting time on vacation!