On Friday arvo, I got home just in time to catch the end of TGIF and they were discussing how to make knitting more attractive to men (I think it arose out of a knit in discussion) and what really struct me is the difference between knitters's knitting humour and non-knitters's knitting humour. E.g.
- Non-knitting humour - revolves around sexual and another crude references that make a cheap joke and may possibly be slightly amusing for about 0.2 seconds.
- Knitting humour - revolves around the general nature of knitting and is hillarious. I am still amused by Stephanie Purl-McPhee's pointing out that you can't use a yarn winder on a plane (I am not funny - its much more funny the way she put it, so go read the book (Cast offs)!) and I read that line over a week ago.
I think non-knitters should just give up trying to make humour about knitting. It really isn't funny. Knitters do a much better job.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
First- the humanity! Knitpicks won't ship to Australia? What is with that? Don't they realize they have an entire continent of dedicated fiber-fiends who want their hanks wound? Or something like that.
At least your LYS has some common sense. I hadn't actually thought to check my (new) LYS, but that's a good idea.
I agree with the knitting humor. Knitters, on the whole, are just funnier than the average bear, i.e. non-knitters. I think we have to keep our sense of humors up when we're frogging that *something* for the dozenth time.
Glad you're keeping this site going!
Perhaps that should have been "senses of humor", hmm? Oh well, so much for proof-reading.
I have just come across the best name ever for a church knitting group. Purly Gates. Isn't it brilliant?
Post a Comment