Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Of Hello Kitty

A few weeks ago (the same weekend my camera took an unplanned holiday to Toongabbie), I was invited to a kitchen tea (in a park) with a Japanese theme (as the bride loves Jap stuff) and each of the guests was asked to bring food related to Japan (e.g. green tea cup cakes, sushi). The only Japanese food I know how to make are full on meals like Yakitori, which doesn't seem afternoon teaish at all, so I decided to make a Hello Kitty cake.

Hello Kitty Cake

Having alot of experience (my dad has made at least half the cakes from the Womens Weekly Children's birthday cake book), working out how to do it was fairly easy. However, this does not mean it was not without mishaps. Clem and I made the cake mix (from stratch - I know not of this thing called "cake mix") and that was fine and I put it in the oven and cooked it and that was all fine too. I checked that it was done by stabbing it and the knife came out clean, so I left it on the bench overnight to cool. When I woke up the next morning, I discovered that the middle had collapsed in on itself (meaning I hadn't cooked it for long enough). However, we ploughed on and I was getting a little worried because when I put the vienna cream (frosting/icing) on, it wasn't looking so great.

But I am a wee grasshopper when it comes to cake making. My dad came along and managed to fix it up, cover over the collapsed bit (we didn't end up eating the middle) and turned it into this. My dad's comment was "Vienna cream is like God's love, it covers over a multitude of sins."

Hello Kitty Cake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Vienna cream is like God's love, it covers a multitude of sin!"

Your father is hilarious!!!! Frosting can always fix up little "mishaps".

Great job on the cake.

Anonymous said...

That cake is super cool - you are so creative!!