Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Of efficiency!!!!!

(Ahem - The Challenge Programme is now $22 better off...)

Sock Meme

There is a sock meme posted over at Southern Summer of Socks. Here are my answers...

1. What’s your favorite sock yarn? (please note that the word “yarn” is singular. Just pick one. I know it’s hard.)
I've only knit one (and a bit) pairs of socks. I'm currently using yarn from The Knittery but my first pair of socks was yarn from Em, who got the yarn from either here or here. (I can't remember.) I'll see how The Knittery yarn goes but I really liked the first sock yarn.

2. What’s your favorite type and brand of sock needle?
I have only used knit picks dpns 2.5mm. It works for me. The needles are sharp, shiny (and slippery). I guess I could try something else but it works for me.

3. Do you knit your socks toe up, cuff down or sideways?
My first two pairs (one done and one in progress) are both cuff down.

4. Do you knit both socks at once or just one at a time?
So far, just one.

5. What’s your favorite toe and why?
I graft using kitchener stitch after decreasing...is this what this means? I don't know any other way.

6. Favorite heel?
I've done heal flap with a slip one knit one row and a purl row. It works fairly well - should I really be doing this meme. I don't really get w&t so I'm not sure if fullon short rows are really for me. (I never thought I'd be a heal flap person - go figure...)

7. Do you prefer plain or patterned socks?
As in plain or verigated yarn? Or stockingette or patterned patterns? The former - I think it depends although the verigated yarns keeps me interested. I think I prefer wearing plainish socks - lacey socks don't appeal to me (although a small cable is okay).

8. Who do you knit the most socks for?
I've knit one pair for me and now onto one pair for someone else. I'm guessing most will be for me.

9. Do you darn your socks? If not, what do you do with them?
I don't currently, but suspect I will have to learn. When I was a child, my grandmother used to darn all our socks (well not mine because I grew out of them rather than wore them out).

10. Do you only wear handknit socks?
No. But this is my aim.

Bonus Question: What pattern, if any, is your basic “I-just-need-a-pair-of-socks” sock pattern based on? Do you keep it written down or memorized?
The Yarn Harlot's Plain Vanilla Sock Receipe. I have Knitting Rules (Erin I need to return your copy!) so its written down.

*sigh* If I lived in Melbourne, today would be a public holiday....

No comments: