Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Sometimes things blindside you

Last weekend, we spent Friday and Saturday nights sleeping in a creche room straddled between an Anglican Church and a Church Hall in a small country town. (I have actually slept in a nearby Baptist church foyer (feeling like Samuel anyone?) before so this doesn't bother me much in the slightest.) (Think of it as camping indoors.) Clem and I were lucky to have this creche room to ourselves and the room had a door that you can only open from the outside with a key (even if its unlocked on the inside) - which we had to borrow from someone else.

On Saturday night, Clem was out and about and I was sitting in the creche room reading (so the light was on) when there was a knock at the door. I got up to let Clem in when I discovered 4-5 kids and the one at the front said "Trick or treat". It took me a few moments to register what the date was and then I told the kids, "sorry I don't have any lollies" and they left without much fuss. But I was just shocked for a while afterwards. I am not one to judge what the kids were thinking and I figure they were just trying every place with a light on but I couldn't get my head around the concept of trick or treating a church creche room...

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I'm glad they left without a fuss. I was surprised no-one knocked at my door - being Saturday I thought the kids would be out in force. I did see some on my drive home but I wasn't bothered at all - perhaps because it looked like no-one was home; I was here alone in the back of the house so no lights could be seen at the front!

Erin said...

Kids in pursuit of lollies? I'm not surprised they'd try anywhere with a light on. A creche room IS a tad random though.

In unrelated news, someone stole the name of our fantasy yarn store! Admittedly not FOR a yarn store, so it's still up for grabs.

http://syndicated.livejournal.com/icanhaschzbrgr/1213365.html