Friday, June 01, 2007

Random ponderings....

I was on the bus today and I couldn't believe it. There was another lady on the bus knitting! She was sitting across the aisle and one row forward of me, so I don't think she saw that I was knitting. I have never seen her on the bus before. She got on the bus before me, but I saw where she got off. I'm sure the people sitting behind me on the bus must have been freaked out that two people on the bus were knitting.

I'm sure she was knitting something for a baby, as it was not very wide on straight tiny needles (2mm or less) with pink yarn and she was knitting continental style, which I have only seen done once before in Australia, and she was really fast. People say that continental knitting is faster but watching her today, it almost seemed like she wasn't really knitting, just waving a needle in front of yarn and somehow it was just going on. Anyway, just like Erin, my left hand is really weak - I really noticed this playing hockey and so I don't think knitting continental style is for me. (Yet, for some unknown reason, I instictively play air guitar left handed.)

[In other news, my laptop is still very sick and so uploading photos of my current knitting may or may not be happening soon, but I'll try.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have occasionally seen fellow knitters on my bus. One was one of those people who use uber-long needles and stick one end under their armpit. It looked like an immensely difficult and cramped position in which to knit but she was flying along.

I do well with continental knitting for about 3 stitches and then it all dies on me. I'm just not capable of keeping the right tension with my left hand. I've noticed this on the odd occasion when I do crocheting, too.

Stupid useless left hand! Work better so I can knit faster!

Anonymous said...

Hello Pal!
Isn't it fun seeing other knitters out and about in public? And the bus is the perfect place to knit! Why hasn't everyone figured this out? ;-)
I've never seen the "armpit" style of knitting Erin described (hello Erin!) but I'd really like to! I know Debbie Stoller knits that way, but, in my mind, I can't picture it.
I learned the English style of knitting, but, after a Fair Isle class, decided to tackle it Continental style and have been doing so ever since. It does seem faster, though I've met plenty of English knitters who leave me in their dust. I've not noticed any extra strain on my left hand, though it did take a few small projects to get my tension even.
I feel your pain on the laptop front. Mine is currently in the hands of some very kind Apple genies, sorting out its hard drive woes. Good luck with yours!
I've commented below, but, again, I'm so pleased you liked your gifts.
Have a lovely weekend,
SP10

Anonymous said...

Hello Anna's secret pal!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who knits with long, straight needles - and she does this by holding one needle with her hip. She is super fast - the fastest knitter I have ever seen - lol! People always watch her when we are KIPing - it looks so funny. Anna - I just sent a package to Erin and there is something in there for you as well.