Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thanks Liz

I'm sorry I haven't blogged in a while, Secret Pal. I realise how important that is for learning about your pal and stopping worrying that they have fallen off the edge of the earth, or drowned in a flood or something. So for the record, I have not died but unfortunately, my laptop has. Still only 3 weeks until the new finacial year and I can buy myself a new laptop with salary sacrificing. (30% off yay!)

I'm still going on Clem's scarf. I may get it done by Christmas at this rate. It's in a baby genius burp cloth pattern (aka the Eric) from MDK. So far I've used some random yarn with no ball bands from Clem's mum's stash, some left over cascade 220 and some random acrylic I had floating around.

Clem's scarf

This weekend (long weekend - thanks Liz!), I've actually knit quite alot. I don't think I've knitted this much in a long time. Unfortunately, I can't show you everything I've knitted as they are for my secret pal or as a gift for someone who reads this blog. However, I did work on a Ballband dishcloth, using the new needles and yarn I got from my secret pal.

SnC ballband dishcloth

The needles are a dream to work with. (They are Susan Bates 4.5mm pink metal straights.) They are so smooth and while not really being sharp, just seem to glide through the yarn. I know my other needles are more worn and so have a few more bumps etc, but I don't think they were ever as good as these needles. They are fairly short too and so fit in my handbag. Thank you so much secret pal. I love them.

SnC Ballband dishcloth

The yarn is Sugar n Cream. I now think I understand what dishcloth cotton is. It has a completely different, although not bad, consistency to the cotton I normally use. It just feels different. In the past I've never been able to see how a ballband dishcloth could actually be a dishcloth and so I've always put a border around the edge and made a facecloth and now my conudrum is thus, faithful readers (hmm...Erin and Secret Pal..and any other knitter who may on a fluke happen to be reading this - I don't have any illusions about who reads my blog), do I make this dishcloth into a facecloth by giving it a border as I have in the past (e.g. Here or here) or do I leave it without a border? Please leave a comment, I'd really appreciate imput in this. (I'm sorry the photos don't really do the question justice.)

SnC Ballband dishcloth

I've also started on a Noro Kureyon beanie (fairly simple made up (and swatched!!!) pattern). As I've seen noted before, the thickness is a little inconsistent (inspite of me not having touched the ball at all) and I keep finding tiny wood fragments in the yarn (should I be mentioning this, since Clem brought it back from Webs?) but as expected, the colours are long and beautiful and its not really scratchy to knit with, but I guess I like a little texture on my hands.

Kureyon beanie

I expect my knitting spead to slow down now that I'm back at work, but as I have a new computer at work, I should be able to blog a little more regularly with all my conudrums.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the BB Dishcloth - I think it looks great with or without the border, but I think I like it best with the border.

Anonymous said...

I like the dishcloths best with the border too.