Monday, October 29, 2007

Of finishing

October is meant to be finish as many UFOs as you can month, and so far I haven't been doing so well, until today. I've made an effort in the last couple of days to actually finish my UFOs (well most of them).

Socks

First Socks

Here are my first ever pair of socks, completed! Yay! They weren't that hard really (I was a little worried), even turning the heal which freaked me out a little, but was actually very straight forward.

First Socks

They were made with sock yarn that Em sent me from either here or here. (It was one of those two, the yarn for the handknit socks Em made me come from the other place.) I knit them using Yarn Harlot's plain vanilla sock receipe (one at a time, dpns, cuff down) on 2.5mm knit picks (we can buy the needles but not the yarn - go figure...), casting on 64 stitches and I love them.

First Socks

Q's beanie

I finally got around to actually weaving in the ends and sealing up the top of Q's beanie.

Q's beanie

Its my basic Noro Kureyon beanie pattern - 90 stitches, 3 by 3 rib for 2 inches, knit until 5.5 inches, decrease every 9, 8, 7 etc stitches (alternate rounds) and I finally remembered to take a picture of one once I'd woven in the ends.

Q's beanie

Moss Grid Handtowel

I can't say the same for my memory when it came to the hand towel and unfortunately I gave it to the recepients (Uncle F and Aunty J got married yesterday) before taking a photo. It came down to the wire. I'm pretty certain you'd need 3 full balls of Twilleys of Stamford DK Cotton to make this (according to the MDK pattern) - I was about half a row short and ended up having to do a crochet cast off because my first ball had already been used a little (by me).

Mum's Irish Hiking Scarf

Mum's Irish Hiking Scarf

I've finally wove in the ends and fringed the edges of the Irish Hiking Scarf for my mum. I'm not sure if she realises it is for her as I've been making it right in front of her for a while now - still I hope she likes it (and doesn't come out in a rash like her most recent scarf).

Irish Hiking Scarf

I liked the cabled pattern for the Irish Hiking Scarf but wondered whether the name was inappropriate for my mother as she had only married an Irish-Australian. However, at a distant relatives funeral recently, I discovered she had her own Irish heritage (on multiple sides actually) (as well as being of convict stock (*sigh* - I always thought I wasn't) and possibly being related to Philip Percival (I was sure I'd asked her this before and she'd said no)), so it is fairly appropriate.

I fringed it using the Erin method of fringing (dont' ask me where she got it from).

Irish Hiking Scarf fringe

Now to try and finish Cozy (doubtful) and Beach (possible) by the end of October (which is Wednesday - argh!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the projects, but the scarf is especially gorgeous!

gemma said...

Careful, your socks look really good, and they match your mum's scarf! If she sees them, she may try to snaffle them for herself. Lovely work for a first pair (mine are hidden away for when I get truly desparate).
Cheers, Gemma (SSof Socks as well)

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the Erin method of fringing from anywhere, really. I just kinda made it up as I went along and it seemed to work out nicely.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful scarf! Your mum will be so happy.